Friday, November 7, 2008

17 kids and counting - personal encouragement

I was blessed today to get to speak with Michelle Duggar, the mother of the 17 children on the TV show "17 Kids and Counting" found on the learning channel, TLC. In case you are not familiar, they are expecting their 18th child, home school, and are on a reality show. I got to share with her how her parenting techniques have so encouraged me and her children's comments and stand on certain issues have been a great influence on my kids. From watching the show, I was amazed at her sweet soft voice that approached the children that were needing instruction. Her children even shared how she is always that way, which made me wonder, "How does she do it?" I mean I try! I have even confessed to my children that I was wrong for yelling and how I want to change. I even thought of ways they could help keep me accountable. A couple times I shared with them an idea of getting a "NO YELL BELL" that my children were to go ring if I ever yelled, but we never got around to trying it. Actually after speaking with Michelle, I think I am going to try her method. First she so encouraged me by saying she too used to yell and was convicted that needed to change. She too started asking her children to hold her accountable but in a different way than my bell idea. She asked her children that if she ever yelled that they would come lay a gentle hand on her and remind her gently of her desire not to yell. She said sometimes when they did it at first that their little touch was like hot coals on her, but through time she got past the yelling and no longer deals with it. She made another major change by changing her yell to a whisper. She would remember the verse, "A soft answer turns away wrath." She still does it and does not have to fight the yelling anymore. Well, I am encouraged that I might be able to actually change. I am encouraged that all these things we need to work through are a process. I am glad I was on the right track of asking forgiveness and seeking accountability from my kids. Hey, there is a chance my kids may actually be able to report of me in the sweet way her kids of her. Thanks to Michelle for taking time to minister to me!

2 comments:

Shanna said...

I'm so jealous! :o) How did you get to speak with Michelle Duggar?!

Michelle said...

Thank you Kim! I'm going through one of the most trying times in my life and I'm afraid I've let my fears and frustrations affect my tone with my kids. Thank you for the reminder. ( the hot coals reminds me of how the interrupt rule made me feel sometimes! I miss you, Michelle